Thursday, April 06, 2006

my all-time mentor/inspiration Ray wrote this about my baby blog: I read part of your blog and thought it was interesting but as soon as I got into the office this morning I wanted to write for your subject heading of this e-mail "TRY A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PARADIGM"... You should try a different paradigm or put on a completely different record. Would you ever want to manage a bowling alley or start your own alternative mail system (to both e-mail and the US postage service, I suppose you'd have to start with more limited places of distribution first, ie. New York, Boston, London etc. Paris and Katmandu (just for variety) and perhaps have the clincher being that it is a definitely a slower system - for people that need their mail 'slow' and don't want an immediate response! I have read and heard some of your writing stuff on your blog before - I don't think you should continue that blog or even this path any longer even though I thought some of your questions to the song guy were funny and appropriate - to free himself, that guy should take up auto mechanics.

True, all. Yes. And, a boring, easy & non-formally-inovative medium is precisely why I wanted a blog. I just need something to create a phatic performance, keep the stage warm while I slave away at this art project that will be my contribution to paradigm shifts. Also there's something freaking great about not breaking every frame they try to stick you in. Like how often have I balked at being just an artist. Let the girl be an artist. Or a blogger. Stop breaking all the paradigms just because you want to proclaim how much more vibrant and complex you are than the definitions. Fine! You're vibrant and complex and undefinable, and here's your sandwich.

Or, maybe I do it all wrong. Who knows? Here's what's clear: I'm doing this path at least until this beast is slain. Another person on the phone the other day, said, not to devote yourself too singlemindedly to one piece of art. It's another piece of advice I will kindly set asside. It is so obvious that I have to finish this movie so that I will be able to say, ladies and gentlemen, like it or not, this is what I spent five years working up to. Ta da! OK, now to move on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah... I think that this blog is really great as a way for you to have a dialog with your audience/get feedback on direction/stay in the flow.

Plus, as one who occasionally spends time with you (heh), I feel that this blog is an additional creative outlet for you and is helping you become perhaps a bit more loose, creative output wise.

Plus, I enjoy reading it :)